16 June 2013

Crochet Summer Sweater



Summer is here!
After I've finished my poncho, I immediately felt a need to make an Actually Wearable Summer Garment. Maybe not just plain wearable, but a little bit stylish, too - yes, sometimes my crochet fantasies are quite daring!



Mesh pattern is great - not only appropriate for summer, but also saves your yarn and works up pretty fast.


The sweater weighs 450g :)
I used 3 mm hook and cotton yarn which is 320m in 75g (2 strands put together).



I didn't have any pattern to use as a guide, so it's 100% my own creation. 
The pattern is pretty much obvious (dc, ch1, dc, ch1... repeat until you're satisfied with the size).

However, there are two things that I want to talk about in particular:

Decreasing in a mesh pattern
When I want to decrease at the end of the row, instead of last *dc, ch1, dc* I make dc2tog (with a skipped st between the bases of dc's).
In the beginning of the row, instead of ch 4 (equals  dc, ch1) I make ch 2.
This way, I have a 'triangle' instead of a 'square' in my mesh. With these triangles it's easy to form round-ish neck hole or decrease width of a sleeve.

Neck ribbing
Bottom and sleeve ribbing is easy (2 front post dc, 2 back post dc...), but with the neck it is trickier, because you have to decrease as you go. I did ribbing after front and back details where slip stitched together, so I worked in the round.
Round 1: dc in every stitch around the neckline, trying to make it nice and even.
Round 2: 2 fpdc, 2 bpdc - repeat around.
Round 3: The same as round 2, but near the shoulder seams instead of 2 bpdc work 2 bpdc together.

I hope my explanations made any sense, but if you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask :)


No comments:

Post a Comment